Campbell Family Fonds
Loading...
Date
Authors
Williams, Edie
Journal Title
Journal ISSN
Volume Title
Publisher
Abstract
The textual materials of the Campbell and Oille families. Includes correspondence, clippings, land transaction documents, and business records, including minutes, invoices, correspondence, and certificates.
Description
Charlotte St. John, daughter of Alpheus St. John and Charlotte Phelps, one of nine children, of which four died in infancy. Charlotte was the granddaughter of Oliver Phelps and Abigail St. John. She married Jerome Beamer Oille on 3 March 1857. Jerome B. Oille and Charlotte St. John had two daughters, Harriet Oille and Elizabeth Oille.
Harriet Oille married John J. Banfield
Elizabeth Oille married John Samuel Campbell.
The Oille family were established in the Niagara region since the late 1780s. The Oille family surname is alternatively also spelled Oil, Oill, Eil or Oehl.
In 1795, Nicholas Oille petitioned the government for the title to 100 hundred acres. Oille states that he has been in Upper Canada for seven years and he has a wife and five children. At the writing of the petition, Nicholas Oille had already improved 300 of the 400 hundred acres he had originally been granted on Lots 6 & 7 in Concession 1 & 2 in Pelham Township.
George Nicholas Oille (1817-1883) was one of twelve children George Nicholas Oille and his wife Eve Decker. He owned and operated a large machinery and foundry business along the Welland Canal in St. Catharines. He was joined in his business by his brother Jerome Beamer Oille.
Harriet Oille was the daughter of George Nicholas Oille and Eve Decker. She lived with her brother George Nicholas Oille in St. Catharines. Harriet Oille died unmarried in 1884.
Lucius Sterne Oille (1830-1903) was a medical doctor practicing in St. Catharines. He received his license to practice medicine in 1858 from Sir Edmund Walker Head. He was instrumental in creating the Water Works Commission and the Niagara Central Railway. He served on the local city council and served as mayor of St. Catharines in 1878. Lucius S. Oille owned many properties in St. Catharines, one of which was the land on which The Grand Central Hotel and Sanatorium Company of St. Catharines was built ca. 1896. Oille was one of the significant shareholders of the company. When Dr. Oille passed in 1903 the bulk of his estate was inherited by his niece Elizabeth Campbell.
John Samuel Campbell (1860-1950) was a graduate of the University of Toronto and Osgoode Hall. During his university years John began his military career first in "K" Company, Queens Own rifles and then later as Commanding Officer of the 19th Lincoln Regiment from 1906 to 1910. Upon his return to St. Catharines John Campbell served as secretary in the St. Catharines Garrison Club, a social club for military men begun in 1899. After being called to the Bar, he became a partner in the firm of Campbell and McCarron and was appointed to the bench in 1916, serving until retirement in 1934.
Judge Campbell served as an alderman for several terms and was the mayor of St. Catharines in 1908 and 1909. He also served as the first chairman of the St. Catharines Public Utilities in 1914. John S. Campbell married Elizabeth Oille in 1889.
Elizabeth Campbell, daughter of Jerome B. Oille and Charlotte St. John, was active in her community. Particularly in the local women’s needlework guild. The family home "Cruachan" was located at 32 Church St. The home was demolished around 1955 for the construction of the new federal building. Cruachan is the battle cry for Highland clans Campbell and MacIntyre.
John S. Campbell and Elizabeth Oille had two sons, Harold Montgomery Campbell and John Colin Armour Campbell.
Harold Montgomery Campbell and his wife Ella Stobie had a son, Malcolm Stobie Campbell.
Andy Campbell is the son of Malcolm Stobie Campbell and Mona McPherson. The archives were in his possession until November 2023 when they were deposited in the Brock University Archives.
The Grand Central Hotel and Sanatorium Company of St. Catharines Limited was incorporated on 27 February 1896. Elizabeth Oille Campbell was the major shareholder, with John S. Campbell, William Cooke, John Henderson, J. Albert Mills and Lucius S. Oille being minority shareholders. The company held regular meetings and conducted the business of the hotel. The hotel was leased to various proprietors over the years and the main floor shops were leased as retail space. Some of the hotel proprietors were R.J. Hannah and the Misses Pauwels and Mackie.
In 1928 the company underwent a name change to the Lincoln Hotel Company. The hotel building was sold in XXXX after which the company dealt mostly in investments with the Campbell family being the main shareholders.
In 1973 the Lincoln Hotel Company was dissolved and the remaining assets dispersed.
Citation
Collections
Endorsement
Review
Supplemented By
Referenced By
Creative Commons license
Except where otherwised noted, this item's license is described as CC0 1.0 Universal
