Beatties Stationary Fonds, 1836-2014, n.d.

Loading...
Thumbnail Image

Authors

Cameron, Chantal

Journal Title

Journal ISSN

Volume Title

Publisher

Abstract

Fonds contains material related to the activities of Niagara-based office-supply business Beatties. The company has operated under several names over the year including Izzard and Bixby Booksellers and Stationers, D.W. Bixby Books and Stationary, Bixby-Beattie Company, Beattie-Hill Ltd., Beattie Stationary Ltd. and Beatties. In addition to selling stationary, the store also had a lending library at one point. Numerous books are included in the fonds, as well as material related to the company’s operations and expansion including catalogues, promotional material, photographs, administrative records, and branded items. Some information about the Beatties family is also included, as well as several historic St. Catharines newspapers from the 1860s and 1870s that feature early advertisements for the business.

Description

Beatties Stationary Limited was originally founded in 1860 by Mr. D.W. Bixby and Mr. P. Izzard. At the time it was known as “Izzard & Bixby Booksellers and Stationers” and was located in downtown St. Catharines. In 1864 Izzard left the business and Bixby became the sole proprietor. The business was now known as D.W. Bixby Books and Stationary and moved to 12 Ontario Street. When Bixby died in 1908, his widow took over the business and moved to 124 St. Paul Street a few years later. Mrs. Bixby hired Lawrence Beattie as a delivery boy and many years later Beattie purchased the business from her. Eventually the business changed its name to Bixby-Beattie Company and moved to 136 St. Paul Street. By 1948 another significant change occurred when the business was incorporated with Lawrence Beattie as President, Lloyd Hill as Vice-President and Kathleen Everest as Secretary-Treasurer. At this point the name was changed to Beattie-Hill Ltd. When Hill left the business in 1955 the name changed once again and was now known as Beattie Stationary Limited. Lawrence had an avid interest in books and he implemented a lending library in the store. By 1968 Lawrence’s nephew Rodger Beattie took over as President after purchasing a controlling interest in the company. He remained as President until 1992 and the business saw significant expansion under his leadership. The first branch store was opened in 1968 in the Grantham Plaza in St. Catharines, another in Fort Erie in 1971, one in Welland in 1976, and one in Niagara Falls in 1980. He also spearheaded the effort to found and organize the Basics Group. This was a group of independently-owned office supply dealers from across Canada that was founded so that the collective members could benefit from the marketing and buying power of the group. In 1978 Beatties moved from St. Paul Street in St. Catharines to a larger facility on Queen Street, which served as the head office and main store, and underwent major renovations in 1989. Company leadership changed again in 1994 when Lawrence Beattie’s grandson Ted Hoxie purchased company shares and became President. Over the years Hoxie purchased additional shares and by 2004 had full ownership of the company. In 2006 Beatties consolidated some of its operations into a building on Vansickle Road in St. Catharines, which served as a distribution centre, retail store, showroom, and head office. In 2010 the company celebrated its 150th anniversary. A major change to the company occurred on August 1, 2023 when Staples Professional purchased Beatties. Under the terms of the sale, the company will continue to operate independently under its current president, Brad Steeves, and leadership team, and retains the Beatties banner.

Citation

Endorsement

Review

Supplemented By

Referenced By

Creative Commons license

Except where otherwised noted, this item's license is described as CC0 1.0 Universal